taking up some books which seemed to belong together, and putting them on different shelves; nothing more being final about their positions than that they no longer lie side by sideLudwig Wittgenstein
- The New Cathedral DoorIn taking up the keyboard again, since I finished 100DaysToOffload last year, I have been digging through my thoughts folder, if you will permit a reification, and came across some musings from last year when I was listening to the Big Brother Watch podcasts. One episode in particular, Social Media Censorship and the Impact on … Read more
- Scribble, Scribble, ScribbleI think it was the George III who is reputed to have said to the great historian Edward Gibbon: “Another damned, thick, square book! Always scribble, scribble, scribble! Eh! Mr. Gibbon?” Apocryphal or not, the sentiment is the apologetic title of another great historian’s book: Scribble, Scribble, Scribble: Writings on Ice Cream, Obama, Churchill & … Read more
- Intellectual WarehouseIn a recent article, The Memex Method, Cory Doctorow unpacked the notion of making a public database of your commonplace book. The idea is based on Vannevar Bush’s 1945 ‘As We May Think,’ in which Dr. Bush posited the idea of a memory expander: Consider a future device for individual use, which is a sort … Read more
- Bitcoin’s Dirty Little Secrets – PoliticalContinuing from my recent essay, Bitcoin’s Dirty Little Secrets – Environmental, I thought I should give some space to the political dimenion of Bitcoins dirty little secrets. Since the white paper was first published under the name Satoshi Nakamoto, the central premise (pun intended) of Bitcoin has been that: A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash … Read more
- Five Stages of AutonomyAt this stage, employees, whether remote or in an office, enjoy true autonomy. The Nirvana Mullenweg and Co. are in search of for their businesses.
- A Change Management PrimerKknowing this only shifts the problem from ‘how’ to ‘when’. In other words, at what speed should the change management take place?
- Confessions of a Platform JunkieHaving perused and discarded a number of options (Medium, Tumblr, Squarespace and Jekyll), I am now caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.
- The Case of the Dangling ToadCombining powdered toad with the excretions and serum made into lozenges and worn about the affected area, drove away the contagion and drew out the poison.
- Parliamentary PrivilegeSidestepping Trump’s wounded pose and Twitter’s egregious claim of the moral high ground and an interesting question about politics and speech emerges.
- Dead CertaintiesThe key is to avoid reading events falsely, which inevitably leads to politics shaping what we think is true.
- Code is Speech?A point to remember when next your private moments are leveraged to improve a marketing algorithm. The unintended consequence of code is speech.
- So this is how privacy dies…To be a part of a society which doesn’t take these choices means the most meaningful solution is to look at ambient as well as personal privacy.
- May the Third be with youIt is fitting these memorial days are side by side because a central theme in the Star Wars saga was the freedom of peoples to live according to their need.